Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fraction Pie - Yum!





      To begin our study of fractions, I wanted to focus on the fact that fractions are equal shares of a whole. I brought in a Marionberry pie and asked the students in the group to figure out how we could divide it fairly so that everyone got a piece. The students then discussed how many people we had, did a little figuring to subtract the people who did not want any, and then to add a few people (like our aide, who loves Marionberry pie), who we had not initially considered. 
      Then each student drew a picture to show how they thought we should slice the pie. We compared the pictures, discussed which ones accurately represented what we needed (12 equal pieces), and then talked about how to slice the pie to get that (i.e. deciding first to slice it into halves and quarters, then to divide each quarter into three equal pieces so there were six pieces in each half, or twelve equal pieces total.) I then sliced the pie according to the agreed upon instructions, and we all enjoyed some pie. 
      The next day we compared our pictures to the pictures below showing how we actually sliced the pie, and I asked the students to reflect on whether their original drawings had been accurate, and if not, what changes they would make. The resulting comments showed real understanding of the concept of fair shares: 
"I got 11 pieces, not equal."
"I made 12 pieces but my pie was not even. Some slices (were) too small."
"I divided my pie into 10 pieces. I needed 2 more."
"I did it wrong because the slices are not equal. And I drew 14 slices."





      I really knew the pie was worth it the next day on a field trip, when one of the parents told me he had heard ALL ABOUT his daughter having pie the day before. We both turned to her and asked her: "How much pie did you have?" She thought for only a moment before replying: "One twelfth!"
Now that's what I call yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment